- The application deadline for the next possible beginning of funding (2019/01/01) is Monday, October 1, 2018.
- You can either submit your hardcopy application by mail to Karlsruhe House of Young Scientists (KHYS), Jana Schmitt, Straße am Forum 3, 76131 Karlsruhe (your application must have reached KHYS by 2018/10/01) or you hand it in personally by 2018/10/01 from 10am to 12 noon.
- Please also submit the digital version of your application to lgf15∂khys.kit.edu also no later than 2018/10/01, 12 noon.
- Please ensure that you also read the FAQ.
Please note: The state parliament of Baden-Wurttemberg has cut the state’s graduate funding for the year 2018. Beyond that further cuts have already been announced for 2019 and it is not yet clear at present how the graduate funding in Baden-Wurttemberg will be organized in future. A binding statement on how exactly the financing for 2019 and beyond will look like is not yet possible.
It is not yet clear at present how many applications can be granted for the first year. Furthermore, funding for a second or third year beyond 2019 is currently up for discussion.
The application deadline for continued scholarships starting 2019/01/01 is Monday, 2018/01/01. For more information concerning applications for a second or third year of a continued scholarship within the framework of the Graduate Funding please refer to 7. Application procedure (Continued scholarships). Please be aware, that due to the limitation of the funds it is not yet clear at present how many applications can be granted (even given a good progress of the doctoral research project).
The scholarships for highly-qualified junior researchers aim to support and promote junior researchers.
At KIT scholarships will be awarded as independent scholarships and in the framework of structured doctoral studies. Applicants whose project is thematically affiliated to the Karlsruhe School of Elementary Particle and Astroparticle Physics (KSETA) have to apply directly at KSETA for a scholarship within the framework of the Graduate Funding from the German States.
Legal foundation (available only in German language)
• The Law on Graduate Funding from the German States (as of 2010/02/04) > PDF-Download
• The Statute of the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) for the implementation of the Law on Graduate Funding from the German States (as of 2016/06/13) > PDF-Download
If you want to be granted a scholarship for your doctoral research period, you must meet the following requirements:
- A completed university degree
- Outstanding qualifications
- A scientific research project that is expected to be of significance to the respective field of research
- Acceptance as a doctoral researcher by the respective KIT department ("Faktultät")
- Scientific supervision by a full/associate/assistant professor from one of the KIT departments ("Fakultät")
- € 1,468/m basic scholarship. This amount includes a flat rate for material and travel expenses
- € 400/m family allowance for the first child, € 100/m for each additional child
- The scholarships are initially granted for 12 months and funding starts on January 1 every year. Given a corresponding progress of your doctoral thesis a follow-up application for a continued scholarship can extend the scholarship for additional 12 months.
- The maximimum duration of funding ist 3 years. Please be aware, that due to the limitation of the funds it is currently uncertain how many follow-up applications can be granted each year (even given a good progress of the doctoral research project).
- Call for application is open to all disciplines
- Taxable income as defined in the German Income Tax Act EStG of the scholarship holders in the funding period may not exceed a gross amount of € 20,000 a year. For every child this amount is increased by € 1,000. Examples for tax-free income (German only, enumeration is not exhaustive).
- If and when there is an existing employment relationship with KIT, or one is to be concluded, the scholarship holder has to inform the service unit Human Resources (PSE) of the scholarship.
<< back to top
The application deadline for the next possible beginning of funding is usually in the beginning of October in each year. For the exact date and details please check the current call for applications.
3.1. First application:
You need to hand in the following documents in hardcopy:
- Check list > PDF-Download
- Scholarship application form (as of 2017/09/06) > Download
- Your work plan including a time schedule and a short description of your project, which is a maximum of five pages long
- Document "Guideline for assessment LGF" of the supervisor (does not replace the expert opinion) > Download
- The expert opinion of the supervisor of your research project (full/associate/assistant professor), which includes a reliable answer to the question as to how your supervisor intends to finance your doctoral research in the case that your doctoral research period exceeds the funding period; in addition, the transcript must state to what percentage of the best students of his or her year the applicant belongs.
- The expert opinion of a second full/associate/assistant professor
- Legally certified copies of your degree certificates (certificates from the preliminary and main study periods and/or Bachelor and Master certificates including a transcript of records). Non-German degree certificates have to be submitted in an English, German or French certified translation.
- Official letter of acceptance as a doctoral researcher at the KIT department (Fakultät)
- Your CV (in table form), in particular listing information concerning your course of study up to now
- Declaration of implementation of the Law on Graduate Funding from the German States (as of 2016/05/30) > Download
- Written confirmation from the Residents' Registration Office ("Einwohnermeldeamt") stating that your child lives in your household (if you have applied for a family allowance)
The following documents have to be handed in digitally:
- All of the application documents (work plan, time schedule, letters of recommendation, CV, certificates etc.) in the exact order as stated above and in one single PDF file (apart from the table)
- Table Key Data Application (Excel file as seperate document, not included in PDF file) > Download
The documents should be directed to the central committee of the Graduate Funding from the German States and submitted to KHYS (Andreas Hahmann). Concerning the application deadline and modalities (see current call for application)
3.2. Selection procedure (First application):
The two-step selection procedure will take place in mid-November each year:
- After the formal check at KHYS, the applications will be forwarded to the respective committee at the KIT departments. Here the applications will be assessed and ranked and forwarded to the central committee.
- Taking note of the assessments and rankings of the respective department´s committees, the central awarding committee (LGF)* makes the final decision. Chairman of the central committee is the Vice President for Research, Prof. Dr. Oliver Kraft.
KHYS informs the applicants about the results as soon as possible.
* The central awarding committee (LGF) is composed in accordance with the statutes of a member of the presidential committee, five members of the group of KIT department (Fakultät) members and extraordinary professors, the spokeswoman for the Equal Opportunities Officer and 2 representatives of the group of academic / scientific staff.
3.3 Picture of selection procedure (First application)
<< back to top
- Delivery of approval of funding and waiver of objection (this must be signed and returned to KHYS).
- To rule out any double funding, it may have to be withdrawn from already existing grants.
- Employment contracts may need to be adjusted (see § additional income). Upon lapse of the employee status at KIT (employment contract at KIT) the employee address expires. This needs to be applied for anew for the scholarship holders via the guest and partner management system by the institute. ∂kit edu
- Scholarship holders must ensure their health insurance coverage themselves (see Handbuch für Promovierende manual for doing your PhD at KIT => chapter 2.6.1, p. 45).
- The monthly payments are paid each month at the beginning of the month.
- The beginning of funding on 01.01. every year cannot be changed.
- If and when there is an existing employment relationship with KIT, or one is to be concluded, to inform the service unit Human Resources (PSE) of the scholarship.
Scholarship holders are generally permitted to spend research time outside of Germany during the Graduate Funding from the German States (LGF) scholarship period. On our website you can find a list of funding institutions that can financially support your research stay abroad (available in german only)
- Financial aid from the LGF may be suspended for a maximum of one year if a scholarship holder is spending a research period abroad and has applied for the suspension.
- During the requested suspension period, the scholarship holder may receive a full scholarship from a different sponsoring body.
- During the LGF funding period the scholarship holder may apply for partial fundings and scholarships for a research stay abroad, for example the KHYS Research Travel Grant, KHYS Networking Grant or the DAAD Additional Scholarship (GraFöG Aufstockungsstipendium).
You can apply for the following grants, among others:
Support of a stay abroad through KHYS (Research Travel Grant)
- Support for travel and subsistence expenses for a three to six-month research stay at a university or a company abroad
- The KHYS Research Travel Grant is not available for participation in congresses and conferences.
- You must be a member of the KHYS.
- For doctoral researchers: Your research project abroad must not be a fundamental component of your doctoral studies but instead an expansion of these studies.
Additional scholarship for of a stay abroad by the DAAD Additional Scholarship (GraFöG Aufstockungsstipendium):
- Supplementary funding for a time period of 30 days up to 12 months to carry research projects abroad
- Applications from doctoral researchers participating in a postgraduate program or other university research projects will not be considered
- Application for funding for a research stay abroad (as of 09/2017) > PDF download
- Information sheet (as of 09/2017) > PDF download
- Special terms and conditions (as of 09/2017) > PDF download
- Language certificate form (as of 04/2018) > PDF download
<< back to top
Within the scope of the funding a family allowance can be applied for (see Satzung des KIT zur Durchführung des LGFG, § 2 Fördersätze (available in German only)).
Funding rate: € 400/m family allowance for the first child, € 100/m for each additional child
Apply for family allowance together with first application and application for a continued scholarship
For more information, see page 2 (first application) or page 2 (application for a continued scholarship)
Apply for family allowance during funding period
All scholarship holders who are already receiving funding can apply for family allowance using this form: > Download
The application deadline for continued scholarships starting 2019/01/01 is Monday, 2018/01/01 (Exception: should the funding have begun later (successor) or have been interrupted, please submit the application for a continued scholarship at the latest six weeks before the end of funding). Please be aware, that due to the limitation of the funds it is not yet clear at present how many applications can be granted (even given a good progress of the doctoral research project).
7.1. Application for continued scholarship
You need to hand in the following documents in hardcopy and digital version:
- Application for a continued scholarship for a doctoral researcher (as of 2017/01/18) > Download
- A work report including the work and time schedule of the research completed so far and a work and time schedule for the work concerning issues that still have to be solved, which is a maximum of five pages long
- An expert opinion from the supervisor of the doctoral research project
- Declaration of implementation of the Law on Graduate Funding from the German States (as of 2017/09/06) > Download
- Written confirmation from the Residents' Registration Office** ("Einwohnermeldeamt") stating that your child lives in your household (if a family allowance has been applied for)
** Only applicable if this confirmation was not included with the first application or the details have changed.
7.2. Application procedure (Application for continued scholarships)
The central awarding committee (LGF) will decide in its meeting on the applications for the contuination of scholarships in mid-November of each year. We will inform you in writing about the result of your application. In the meantime please refrain from inquiries.
7.3 Picture of selection procedure (Application for continued scholarships)
<< back to top
Six months after the funding period at the latest you have to submit a final report (1-2 pages). The following aspects have to be considered:
- Objectives and impact of the research work
- Progress of work up to now (which steps have been realized yet?)
- Which steps are required to complete the work?
- If applicable, you could provide information about published papers during the funding.
- Basic formal requirements (date, name, signature on the reports)
If the dissertation is already completed at that time, a certified copy of the doctoral degree certificate/diploma of your doctoral work are sufficient as final document.
For detailed modalities about funding and application, please refer to:
• KSETA (Karlsruhe School of Elementary Particle and Astroparticle Physics)
Elementary particle physics and cosmology
• GUP (Gefügestruktur- und Prozessbewertung)
II. Polykristalline Mikrostrukturen
• ENRES (Energiesysteme und Ressourceneffizienz)
KIT/HS Pforzheim/ HS Stuttgart
Questions about politics, economy and city planning
• MERAGEM (Modellierung, Entwurf, Realisierung und Automatisierung von gedruckter Elektronik und ihren Materialien)
Material science, physics, electronic engineering and information technology, computer science
Currently there is no call for applications.
<< back to top