As the central institution for the promotion of young scientists KHYS is the first point of contact and advisory office for all doctoral researchers and postdocs at KIT. KHYS is happy to help via consultations with all questions regarding doing a doctorate at KIT as well as future career planning and the early postdoc phase. You can find the contact persons of KHYS here.
Counselling in conflict situations
Junior researchers often face different challenges in their research period. These could lead to conflicts, for example concerning the supervision relationship, within a working group, regarding financing issues or concerning self-structured working. The challenging phase that young scientists face can also lead to personal problems. Should you find yourself in such or similar conflict situations, you can find support at various advisory offices available at KIT:
- Ombudspersons for doctoral researchers and supervisors >> Info
- Ombudspersons to ensure good scientific practice >> Info
- Ombudspersons for ethical principles >> Info
- Konliktmanagement und Psychosoziale Beratung (conflict management and psychosocial counselling) (KMB) >> Info
- Higher Education Law and Academic Affairs >> Info
- Further points of contact >> Info
We at KHYS are also happy to be your contact persons. In principle, KHYS offers open consultation hours every Thursday from 3 to 5 p.m. (Bldg. 30.96, room 116). During this initial consultation, we will offer information and advice on how to deal with challenging situations and conflicts. If applicable, we will refer you to other avisory offices. You are also welcome to make an appointment. Please contact: jutta klein-hitpass. ∂kit edu
The dates for the open consultation hours can be found in the schedule of events. Should it be necessary to cancel one of the dates at short notice, this will be noted in the respective entry in the schedule. Therefore we recommend that you check the schedule beforehand.
You can also find an overview of the contact points at KIT for conflict counselling for young scientists in this flyer.
KIT appointed special Ombudspersons for doctoral researchers and supervisors to support the solution finding for problems or conflicts which arise as part of the supervisory relationship. You can find further information and personal profiles of the Ombudspersons here.
Compliance with the rules of good scientific practice is indispensable for all scientists. The Ombudspersons to ensure good scientific practice, as persons of trust, advise those who inform them about suspected scientific misconduct by others. On the other hand, those suspected of misconduct can also contact the responsible Ombudsperson.
In addition to their advisory activities, the Ombudsmen regularly give lectures at KIT, for example during the KIT PhD Days. Further information can be found in the presentation "How to avoid scientific malpractice" (PDF file).
In addition, the German Research Ombudsman appointed by the German Research Foundation (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft; DFG) is available to all scientists for advice and support on questions of good scientific practice and its violation via scientific dishonesty.
The KIT Senate actively supports the discourse on ethics in science. To this end, it has appointed two Ombudspersons for ethical principles and an ethics committee. They are responsible for the further development of the Guidelines for Ethical Principles of KIT and for advising KIT members and associates and support them regarding sensitive issues. As a KIT member, you can contact one of the Ombudspersons with your questions at any time.
The unit Konfliktmanagement und Psychosoziale Beratung (KMB) (conflict management and psychosocial counselling) serves as an additional contact point for all members of KIT and offers competent help in the shape of individual counselling, coaching, conflict counselling, mediation, team support and arranging further support services. The counselling services provide assistance with all problems that limit your ability to work. These can be based on both the work context as well as your personal situation.
For all legal questions regarding the processes for the doctorate and the doctoral ordinances please contact the service unit Higher Education Law and Academic Affairs (DE HAA).
KIT offers its members further contact points. Below we have compiled a selection for you.
- Conventions of doctoral researchers >> Info
- International Scholars & Welcome Office (IScO) >> Info
- Equal Opportunities >> Info
- Personalbetreuung (personnel support) >> Info
- Personalrat (staff council) >> Info
- Medizinische Dienste (medical services) >> Info
- Arbeitskreis Sucht des KIT (universitärer Bereich) (addiction working group of KIT – university sector) >> Info
- Schwerbehindertenvertretung (representatives for the severely handicapped) >> Info
- Beauftragte für Studierende mit Behinderung und chronischer Krankheit (representatives for students with disabilities and chronic illnesses) >> Info
- Netzwerk Gesundheit >> Info
- Studierendenwerk Karlsruhe >> Info
- Compliance Staff Unit >> Info
<< back to top