Information for applicants
- Deadline for applications: Tuesday, June 30, 2020
- Funding decision: approx. beginning of August 2020
- Funding period: Ideally, the trip takes place between September 2020 and March 2021.
- You must be a doctoral researcher at KIT (i.e. you have been accepted by a KIT Department or you are doing your doctorate at a different university but have your main research focus at KIT) and have been officially accepted as a doctoral researcher by the respective department ("Fakultät") or
- You are a postdoctoral researcher.
- You must be a member of KHYS.
- During your research stay abroad, you must continue to receive payment from your employer respectively scholarship provider (at least equivalent to the payment received for a half-time position in the remuneration grade TVL-E13).
- For doctoral researchers: Your research project abroad must not be a fundamental component of your doctoral research but instead an expansion thereof.
- You must meet the application deadline stipulated.
- Your application documents must be complete and formally correct.
Guidelines and templates
Please take into account the new guidelines and templates as of May 2020.
If you have any queries regarding the KHYS Research Travel Grant, please send an e-mail to
researchtravelgrant∂KHYS.kit.edu. For further information, please feel free to contact .
"I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the great opportunity to conduct a research project at the Royal Holloway, University of London, which KHYS made possible through the Research Travel Grant Program. In particular, I would like to highlight the friendly and smooth handling of the entire program. The program gave me the opportunity to broaden my professional horizons and learn how research is done in the UK. I am pleased that the results of this work have found their way into a publication in Nature Physics. This would not have been possible without the support of KHYS." (KIT doctoral researcher)
"Finally, I would like to thank you for the excellent and smooth support and processing at KHYS. I think the Research Travel Grant offers a unique opportunity for doctoral researchers to spend a few months abroad. The Research Travel Grant empowered me with personal experience and professional development, this is priceless. I have a very high regard for this and it is very valuable for my future academic career. " (KIT doctoral researcher)
“I would like to thank KHYS for funding this research stay. […] I would strongly recommend this grant to future scholars. KHYS has been a great help to me not only by supporting me financially, but also by providing clear application guidelines and continual assistance in the preparation phase. […] I would also like to thank KHYS for supporting doctoral researchers at KIT with regard to research stays and for providing a lot of support possibilities for doctoral researchers. I have already been able to gain a lot of valuable experience thanks to the grant, the further education courses from KHYS, and by being a member of the organizational team of the KIT PhD Symposium in September 2014.” (KIT doctoral researcher)
“I would like to take this opportunity to thank you – as a representative for KHYS – for this valuable experience and the opportunity to go abroad. I would also like to personally thank you for your support in the application phase.” (KIT doctoral researcher)
“The KHYS funding was a great support for my stay abroad. It not only provided financial support, but also helped me convince my supervisor to approve the research stay. I would like to thank KHYS for offering great services for doctoral researchers at KIT.” (KIT doctoral researcher)
“I had an incredibly good time and I am very glad that this was made possible to me with the aid of the grant.” (KIT doctoral researcher)
“I have profited very much from KHYS offerings. Besides the Research Travel Grant KHYS provides a lot of valuable information and support for young researchers. In my opinion the services offered by KHYS are unique compared to other German research and educational institutions. KHYS constantly enables me to gain a quick and efficient overview of various application options for research funds, scholarships, and awards. Thank you!” (KIT postdoctoral researcher)
“After an exciting and wonderful research stay in the U.S., I arrived safely back in Germany at the beginning of December. Thank you for your friendly support in the preparation and implementation of my stay!” (KIT postdoctoral researcher)
<< back to top